Well hello there! Long time no see folks
Nikhil and I have our birthdays in July and we were travelling pretty much most of the month. But now we're back with a BANG! Here with one of our favourite things to eat together.
Spicy and Simple Sambal. So for those of you who don't know sambal is sort of like a hot chutney made from chillies, spices and aromatics, originally from Southeast Asia. There are many varieties and versions to making a sambal, each with similar ingredients with varying distinctive flavours. Just like a chutney, it's one of those things that every household has their own version of.
Now on to our super easy version of the most delish sambal. I say easy because we make sambal in our household now using our Spicy Garlic Chilli Oil. The ingredients in our Spicy Garlic Chilli oil already cover most of the ingredients needed for this sambal!
Without any more delay, let's get on it!
- 1 tbsp Cooking oil
- 2 small Onions
- 2-3 1 inch pieces of Lemongrass
- 3 tbsp Spicy Garlic Chilli Oil
- 1 tsp Brown sugar
- 1 tbsp Soy sauce
- 1/2 tbsp Fish Sauce (optional)
- Pulse together onions and lemongrass (you want a flossy / coarse blend texture)
- Heat oil in a pan and add the onion lemongrass blend. Thoroughly cook until the mixture has turned brown. This should take about 10-15 mins.
- Add in Spicy Garlic Chilli Oil and brown sugar. Continue cooking for about 5 mins till the sugar is fully dissolved.
- Finish off with soy sauce and fish sauce. You can omit the fish sauce if you want to keep this vegetarian. Serve and enjoy!!
- You can store this in your fridge for about a week to ten days! Eat with everything!