You know when you have a good loaf of bread that makes you crave for a decadent, gourmet, soul touching grilled cheese sandwich? IYKYK!
So I had a loaf of sourdough sitting in my pantry and ofcourse we wanted some good crunchy, gooey grilled cheeses! Now I truly appreciate a plain and simple but grilled cheese but it's missing that BAM! That feeling of OMG WHAT JUST HAPPENED when you eat a cheat meal - really that's what you need.
So obviously we added our Spicy Garlic Chilli Oil to grilled cheese and it got 1000% better. The upgrade was unbelievable! We're never making our grilled cheese without it again. No going back. Nada
This recipe is definitely not healthy, and it's not for the faint hearted. It's super greasy but so so yummm! Drowning in tonnes of cheese, butter and chilli oil. It adds spice and crunch and so much flavor. Add some of the chili oil to the butter while you're toasting your bread, infuse the butter that’s crisping out the outside pieces of bread making it crispppyyyyy. BRB gotta stop drooling all over my laptop lol
Eating this sandwich is pure bliss. Your fingers will be oily and spicy. You’ll get those oh so addictive cheese pulls and you won’t want to stop. Perfect for cheat day Netflix binge!
- 2 slices of Sourdough bread (or any bread of your choice)
- 4 slices of Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded cheese of your choice (I used mozzarella)
- 1 tbsp Spicy Garlic Chilli Oil
- Butter for toasting
- Extra oil from chilli oil for toasting
- Add butter and a little oil from chilli oil to your pan. Let the butter completely melt and sizzle, then add your bread slices. Fry till nicely toasted on one side with some good colour on the them. Set aside on the plate with the toasted side facing up.
- Place 4 slices of cheddar cheese on one of the toasted slices, sprinkle your shredded cheese on top, and then add a generous helping of Spicy Garlic Chilli Oil on it. I go with 1 tbsp but you can add as much as you like. Spread it on the cheese as evenly as possible.
- Flip the other slice on top to close the sandwich. The side that is not toasted should face upwards.
- Add some butter to a hot pan, let it melt through. Then place your sandwich on the pan. Toast on both sides till it's brown, crispy and the cheese and chilli oil are oozing out! Enjoy with some more chilli oil if you can handle it :P