Inspired by the great Yotam Ottolenghi, this is one of my most favourite ways to eat tomato. So if you've read my previous posts you know I (Shivangi) despise fresh tomatoes. I pick pieces of tomatoes out of my food, be it salads, pizzas, burgers whatever. Actually now i just make sure to tell the waiter "no tomatoes please!".
But I have figured out that I can eat them if they're completely cooked through and paired with something delish! Hence I love experimenting with tomato based stuff like sauces, salsas, chutneys, dips etc.
Now this dip is from one of my favourite chefs. Also I saw like social media blow up on this recipe and I had to make a Sassy Spicy version of my own! Super easy, super yummy and our Spicy Garlic Chilli Oil is a key ingredient here! When I say key I really do mean it. If y'all didn't know yet, let me tell you Spicy Garlic Chilli Oil is awesome with tomatoes and yoghurt!
Okay now I'll share the recipe with you, you'll make it and you'll see what I mean! It's truly BOMB!
- 1 cup Yoghurt ( you can also use greek yoghurt here)
- 1tsp minced Garlic
- 1 tsp Salt (divided)
- 1 cup fresh Cherry Tomatoes whole
- 1 tbsp Spicy Garlic Chilli Oil
- 1/2 tsp Oregano flakes
- Handful chopped fresh Basil leaves
- In a bowl, combine yoghurt, minced garlic and 1/2 tsp salt. Whisk till it's absolutely smooth. Set aside.
- Heat up a pan with a little oil. Add cherry tomatoes, remaining salt and oregano flakes. Cover and roast till tomatoes are completely soft and mushy.
- Once the tomatoes are cooked through, add in the Spicy Garlic Chilli Oil and chopped basil leaves. Toss for a minute more then take it off the heat.
- Take a deep dish or plate, spread the yoghurt mix. Top the yoghurt with the tomatoes from the pan. Voila! Dig in with some toast or pita bread!